Experience and Practice
Mr. Whelan joined the firm in 1981 after obtaining his law degree from Tulane University. Mr. Whelan has devoted his practice to the handling of a broad spectrum of maritime cases primarily on behalf of shipowners and underwriters. He has extensive trial and litigation experience in the handling of the defense of personal injury and death claims involving seaman, longshoremen, harbor workers and recreational boaters.
His maritime practice also focuses on property and cargo damage claims, vessel arrests and attachment, maritime liens, Coast Guard violations and proceedings and stowaways. Mr. Whelan is also a leading member of the firm’s oil pollution response team and he has handled numerous major pollution incidents on behalf of vessel owners, charterers, terminal operators and their insurers. He has lectured on a number of maritime law topics.
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 1978
- Tulane University, J.D., 1981
- New York
- U.S. District Courts: Eastern and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania , Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals: Second and Third Circuits
- The Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Associations of Average Adjusters, United States and United Kingdom
- American, New York & Pennsylvania Bar Associations